The work of chopping down trees is not done. There are still stumps that need to be removed. Chopping down or sawing down trees is actually the easiest part. It’s a different story if you need to remove the stump.
The cost of stump removal will depend on many factors, including whether you hire a professional or do it yourself. Avoid unpleasant surprises by learning the costs and fees associated with removing tree stumps. Find out more about stump removal costs by reading our cost guide.
The average cost of removing a tree stump is $60-$350 per stump depending on its size. Average stump removal costs are approximately $2-$3 per inch. It may cost you $75 to $150 to do it yourself.
DIY Stump Removing vs Professional Stump Removing
You must decide whether you want to hire someone to remove the stump or do it yourself. It may seem that there is no significant difference between renting and hiring a stump grinder. There are many important, but small, factors that can impact the final cost of your stump grinder rental or hire. Time is money, so it’s important to remember that. Professional stump removal will be a cost-effective option if you want the job done quickly and efficiently.
Professional Stump Removing Prices
The average cost for professional stump removal in the United States is $165. It usually takes around an hour. Different criteria may be used by professional companies to determine the price.
- Per Inch – The price for removing a stump is determined by its diameter. Most companies charge $100 minimum.
- Total Number of Stumps Many companies offer price breaks for customers with more than one stump to be removed. For example, $100-150 for the first stump, and $30- $50 for each subsequent stump.
- Clearing Land – If you require large amounts of land and lots of stumps, expect to pay an hourly flat fee. Customers are usually charged $150 an hour. The average diameter of the stumps to be removed may determine how much you are charged. If you have 200 stumps and an average diameter of 12 inches, then 2400 inches must be cleared. You will be charged $4,800 at $2 an inch
There are several factors that may affect the cost of a professional stump removal service
- Stump Diameter – Larger diameters equal higher prices.
- Age of Stump – Older stumps tend to be more rotted and are easier to remove.
- Soil Condition – Rocky soil can damage equipment. You may be charged more.
- Types of Tree Stump – Some tree stumps are more difficult to grind than others.
- Root System – Stumps with fewer root stumps cost less to remove than stumps that have extensive root systems.
- Cleaning – You will have to pay more if you need the stump ground up.
This post was written by Cody O’Connor, owner of Arbor Wise Professional Tree Care. Robert Miller is the owner of Arbor Wise Professional Tree Care, a locally owned and operated tree service company that offers superb lawn care by the most experienced Arborists. Arbor Wise Tree Services is a tree removal company that offers stump removal, tree pruning, stump grinding pinellas park, fertilization, and tree restoration. We have an extraordinary lawn care industry notoriety covering the Pinellas county area.